How to Apply
To apply for this position, please email a copy of your resume and contact information for two references to [email protected], and specify you are interested in being a Visitor Services Operative.
The Halifax Citadel Society recognizes the importance of diversity to our mission, and aspires to ensure our workforce reflects the diversity found in Canada’s population today. We encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
Start Date: April 29, 2024
End Date: August 31, 2024
Position Type: Full-Time Term (40 hours/week)
Hourly Wage: $16.72
Position Title: Visitor Services Operative
Position Type: Term
Sub-Unit: Visitor Services
Reports To: Assistant Visitor Services Supervisors
Visitor Services Operatives carry out fee collection and visitor orientation duties, run some modern exhibits and the Halifax Citadel’s Information Centre, and participate in and support some interpretive programs and demonstrations. They work at both the Halifax Citadel and Georges Island National Historic Sites. Visitor Services Operatives also work closely with many of the Halifax Citadel Society’s partner organizations at both sites.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Operates kiosks, processes entrance fees for visitors and groups, and maintains a cash float.
- Operates modern exhibits and the Halifax Citadel’s Information Centre.
- Distributes brochures and provides bilingual visitor reception and orientation services.
- Delivers, participates in, and/or supports interpretive programming and demonstrations.
- Addresses visitors’ concerns and collects and records visitors’ comments and other feedback.
- Monitors visitors’ adherence to site rules, regulations, and safety practices.
- Carries out basic inspections of visitor areas, reports maintenance issues, and conducts basic maintenance/cleaning tasks of work spaces.
- Cleans some visitor facilities at Georges Island NHS.
- Performs other duties as required.
- A high school diploma (or GED) is required.
- Previous experience in a customer service role is an asset.
- Previous experience with cash handling and/or point of sale systems is an asset.
- The ability to communicate fluently in both English and French is required.
Skills & Abilities
- The ability to work efficiently as part of a team, both independently and in small groups.
- The ability to interact and communicate with members of the public in an efficient, friendly, and professional manner.
Achievement Motivation: Is energetic and committed to meeting goals and targets set, even when tasks are repetitive; actively reviews schedules and plans to avoid unnecessary over runs; wants to do things well and consistently delivers to best of own ability; willing to respond to reasonable requests to do tasks that go beyond normal scope of job.
Client/Customer Service: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of clients/customers in a manner that provides satisfaction for the client/customer and fosters client/customer loyalty. Is respectful of others, helping or serving them to meet their needs by discovering those needs and figuring out how to best meet them.
Respectful/Respect/Respectfulness: Effectively promotes a respectful, positive work environment in which each person is accepted and has the opportunity to grow and develop; demonstrates behaviours that include fairness, respect, inclusiveness, empathy, integrity, and ethical conduct; examines own biases and assumptions; displays appreciation for and recognizes the value of different opinions, roles, experiences, cultures and backgrounds participation and involvement; recognizes people's diverse needs and perspectives (e.g. language differences, cultural differences, disabilities and personal family circumstances); monitors the work environment, to identify underlying issues that impact negatively on people, and takes appropriate action, holds self and others accountable for making principled decisions; respects the confidential nature of the work.
Flexibility: Is open to change and new information; adapts behavior and work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles. Adjusts rapidly to new situations warranting attention and resolution, proactively seeking opportunities to develop new capabilities, skills, and knowledge.
Teamwork and Cooperation: Works cooperatively, with a positive attitude with others to achieve common goals. Willingly co-operates; is friendly and cooperative. Keeps other team members up to date. Addresses conflicts or issues within the team in a positive and open manner.
Conditions of Employment
- Willingness to wear HCS uniforms, and to adhere to associated personal appearance standards.
- Willingness to travel between work locations on foot and in small boats, and work in semi-isolated locations with limited infrastructure.
- Willingness and ability to obtain and maintain a Government of Canada Reliability Status security clearance.
- Works indoors in admission kiosks, modern visitor exhibits, and the Halifax Citadel’s Information Centre.
- Works outdoors in all weather conditions, standing for long periods of time, at the Halifax Citadel and on Georges Island.
- Also works inside historic fortifications in both period-accurate and modern spaces.
- Works a variable work schedule including weekends, holidays, evenings, and/or overtime as required.