We are seeking interested individuals who are committed to sharing their time and talents by volunteering to serve on the Halifax Citadel Society’s (HCS) Board of Directors.
The HCS is a non-profit organization dedicated to connecting people with a part of what it means to be Canadian and, in so doing, inspire thoughtful citizenship. The Society was founded on July 10, 1993 by a group that included both former employees of the living history program at the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site of Canada and interested community members. Its primary activity, done in partnership with Parks Canada, is the historical interpretation of the Citadel for the benefit of site visitors through the re-enactment of two 19th-century British infantry and artillery units: the 78th Highland Regiment of Foot (Ross-shire Buffs) and the 3rd Brigade Royal Artillery. In addition, the HCS runs a number of other endeavours designed to complement this interpretive program either by providing program support or through revenue generation. The ancillary programs include: a gift shop retail business; a coffee shop; the administration of the Citadel’s indoor facility rental program; site fee collection and visitor orientation services; and evening programming (tours and performances).
We are looking for individuals who are able to:
- Imagine and create alternate futures for the organization.
- Examine, debate and decide on the values on which they base their decisions.
- Think in new ways and remain conceptually flexible.
- Analyze issues from a broad perspective and see the whole as more than just an accumulation of its parts.
- Demonstrate moral courage.
- Work as a group.
- Accept and use authority.
- Allow others to lead.
What we can offer:
- Opportunities to contribute to the public good.
- Opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Opportunities to link with others with an interest in Canadian heritage, youth employment and the tourism sector.
If interested, please send a note to that effect, your reason for interest, and a general indication of your background to [email protected] with the subject line “Application for HCS Board of Directors.”