1. Position Title:
Historical Interpreter - Drummer
2. Reporting To:
3. Primary Function/Job Purpose:
To interpret the role of a 19th-century British musician by playing period music on the rope-tension drum or bass drum, and by executing military drills and manoeuvres, taking visitors on guided tours, participating in historical dramatizations, events, parades and performances in period costume.
- Perform daily duty functions including: solo and group musical demonstrations, duty calls, answer questions from and direct site visitors, and provide historical interpretation of site themes.
- Participate in daily training routines including music practice, foot and arms drill, formation drills, duty training, military etiquette, and historical lectures.
- Participate in routine and special ceremonial event functions in and outside of the Halifax Citadel NHS.
- Participate in daily fatigue (cleaning) program of lunch and locker rooms and other work areas as needed.
- Maintain personal uniforms, weapons, musical instruments and accoutrements by shining and cleaning.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Completion of Recruit Phase Training course.
- At least one year of competitive experience as a soloist.
- Recent member of a pipe band playing at the Grade 3/4 level or above.
- Level III Piping & Drumming Certificate (Drumming) or higher.
7. Other Competencies/Characteristics:
- Possesses advanced theoretical knowledge and practical music skills on the rope tension snare drum.
- Ability to learn historical music and information within limited time frame and interpret it to the public (in both individual and group settings), particularly Canadian and/or British military and social history;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to provide excellent program delivery, customer service and effective information service to both the public and staff;
- Ability to safely operate 19th century firearms and artillery under supervision.
- Applicants must be willing and able to obtain an Government of Canada Security Clearance and Criminal Records Check.
8. Working Conditions
- Works primarily outdoors on a rough, uneven surface in all types of weather and indoors in historical exhibits.
- Works a variable work schedule including weekends, evenings and holidays asrequired.