1. Position Title:
Historical Interpreter - Piper
2. Reporting To:
3. Primary Function/Job Purpose:
To interpret the role of a 19th-century British musician by playing period music on the bagpipe, and by executing military drills and manoeuvres, taking visitors on guided tours, participating in historical dramatizations, events, parades and performances in period costume.
- Perform daily duty functions including: solo and group musical demonstrations, duty calls, answer questions from and direct site visitors, and provide historical interpretation of site themes.
- Participate in daily training routines including music practice, foot and arms drill, formation drills, duty training, military etiquette, and historical lectures.
- Participate in routine and special ceremonial event functions in and outside of the Halifax Citadel NHS.
- Participate in daily fatigue (cleaning) program of lunch and locker rooms and other work areas as needed.
- Maintain personal uniforms, weapons, musical instruments and accoutrements by shining and cleaning.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Completion of Recruit Phase Training course.
- At least one year of competitive experience as a soloist.
- Recent member of a pipe band playing at the Grade 3/4 level or above.
- Level III Piping & Drumming Certificate (Piping) or higher.
7. Other Competencies/Characteristics:
- Possesses advanced theoretical knowledge and practical music skills on the Great Highland Bagpipe.
- Ability to learn historical music and information within limited time frame and interpret it to the public (in both individual and group settings), particularly Canadian and/or British military and social history;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to provide excellent program delivery, customer service and effective information service to both the public and staff;
- Ability to safely operate 19th century firearms and artillery under supervision.
- Applicants must be willing and able to obtain an Government of Canada Security Clearance and Criminal Records Check.
8. Working Conditions
- Works primarily outdoors on a rough, uneven surface in all types of weather and indoors in historical exhibits.
- Works a variable work schedule including weekends, evenings and holidays asrequired.