The HCS's 78th Highlanders maintain an extensive year-round performance schedule and participate in special events, ceremonies and festivals, both locally and internationally.
On average, the unit performs at 125 special events each year (with 20 of these performances involving 25 performers or more). The 78th Highlanders also regularly participate in international events, and over the past 10 years have made 12 visits to the United States and one to England.
Some past performances include:
- The celebration of the 100th anniversary of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, 1997
- Colorado Scottish/Irish Festival, Estes Park, Colorado
- New Hampshire Highland Games
- Halifax 250th anniversary celebrations
- Boston Tree Lighting ceremony
The 78th Highlanders have received numerous awards and accolades since the program's inauguration in 1979. They include:
- North American Pipe Band Champions (Grade I), 2003 .
- Canadian Pipe Band Champions (Grade I), 2003.
- Atlantic Canada Pipe Band Champions, 1992-2003.
- Best Welcome Program (Rest of the World Category), Dream World Cruise Destination Magazine, 2002.
- Granted the Freedom of the City by the Halifax Regional Municipality, 1999. (Celebrated each year since with a parade through downtown Halifax.)
- Invited by English Heritage to the celebration of the 100th anniversary of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, 1997.
- Guard of Honour for G7 leaders at Government House in Halifax, 1995.
- Tourism Industry Association of Nova Scotia's Ambassador Award, 1990, 1994.